Saturday, February 18, 2006

post 203. listening to lots of johnny cash.

being in improv is about being boring and obvious; so i was listening to the essential johnny cash (saw walk the line last night, but still liked capote more in an oscar-winning sense) this morning and came up with these lyrics. i wrote it in five minutes, and tried to get my country cliches as right as i could without thinking too much. god, i'm glad i'm not a song-writer. by the way, i started this thought train while listening to "sunday morning coming."

i woke up this morning
there were three things missin’
you
my dog
and my beer

so i got my gun and my pickup truck
hopin’ i’d have some luck
lookin’ for you
my dog
and my beer

drove in to town and i looked around
heard from a bar a familiar sound
it was you
my dog
and my beer

i asked you where was gromit and my grolsch
you brought up all those dark things of old
so i shot you
and went looking for my dog and my beer

ol' gromit was sittin in an alleyway
he barked a question in a slurry way
you shot your wife
i said, listen here dog
where’s my beer?

he woofed i drank it all ‘cause i knew you’d be mad
but i was standing there, real happy and glad
‘cause i didn’t never done did like that dog no how

like that no-good maybelle i did shoot my dog
didn’t feel it was no wrong
'cause no woman
and no dog
can take my beer

but there were some men who didn’t think the same
while looking for my beer they called my name
the sheriff
the judge
and the warden

so let it be known that you should think
the next time you want to have a drink
that your wife
and your dog
ain’t more important than your beer.