Thursday, April 21, 2005

post 10. lost in the woods.

i shot into the darkness, knowing something was out there. i knew it. i just knew it. the night on this weird planet was still and spooky, trees coming out of the black every now and then with their rustles. every time i shot i got a clear picture of the entire forest, with shadows that jumped around and seemed to follow my blaster’s shot. nothing. rustle rustle. i turned back around slowly and kept walking. no flashlight, and although this planet had fourteen moons, the thick, noxious clouds obscured them. all i heard was the rustling behind me, in front of me, around me, above me. i had been on patrol for three days and lost the group, and here i was in some part of the forest that was obviously uncharted, which meant it was unsanctioned. i checked the my oxygen tank of my space suit. half empty. i raised my hand to hit my commlink, but i knew i wouldn’t get anyone. then i thought of a terrible thing: what if the rest of the group was dead? what if i was here alone on this god-forsaken planet where the forests breed methane and things come out at night to kill investigative patrols? my mind started picturing all kinds of fanged, clawed, red-eyed monsters that might be lurking around. i started spinning the panic wheel of disasters that could befall me, but i stopped at a tree and shook my head. i had to stay focused and – i turned around and shot but this time i hit something. it was two meters behind me, and in that flash of blaster i thought i saw...a mermaid. i shot a mermaid. i heard a shout, but it wasn’t from the thing that i shot. i whipped around and started running incoherently. i started shouting: all right, i got one of you, keep out of my way, or you’ll get more of the same! i ran into a tree and fell to the ground. where are you? i shouted again. i got up and ran into another tree. if i kept this up i could rupture my suit, and then…show yourself and no on will be hurt! i turned back towards the mermaid and could see in the darkness a shape right behind me. it was floating in the air, like a mermaid in a sea back home…she was standing right next to me. she punched my helmet and swatted the out of my hand. you’re in no position to make demands, she said, and then, in the silence of the night, on that terrible planet, i saw a crowd of them float together. silhouetted mermaids floating from the trees and gathering from the woods. then i blacked out.